Sunday, February 18, 2018

FORMOTEROL- Adrenergic Bronchodilator

                                               
DESCRIPTION-
    Formoterol (INN) or eformoterol (former BAN) is a long-acting β2 agonist (LABA) used in the management of asthma and COPD. It is marketed in three forms: a dry-powder inhaler, a metered-dose inhaler and an inhalation solution, under various trade names including Atock, Atimos/Atimos Modulite, Foradil/Foradile, Oxeze/Oxis, and Perforomist. It is also marketed in the combination formulations budesonide/formoterol and mometasone/formoterol.

Formoterol is a long-acting β2 agonist that has an extended duration of action (up to 12 hours) compared to short-acting β2 agonists such as salbutamol (albuterol), which are effective for 4–6 hours. LABAs such as formoterol are used as "symptom controllers" to supplement prophylactic corticosteroid therapy. A "reliever" short-acting β2 agonist (e.g., salbutamol) is still required, since LABAs are not recommended for the treatment of acute asthma.

MECHANISM OF ACTION-
The pharmacologic effects of beta2-adrenoceptor agonist drugs, including formoterol, are at least in part attributable to stimulation of intracellular adenyl cyclase, the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) to cyclic-3', 5'-adenosine monophosphate (cyclic AMP). Increased cyclic AMP levels cause relaxation of bronchial smooth muscle and inhibits the release of pro-inflammatory mast-cell mediators such as histamine and leukotrienes.

HALF LIFE – 10 HRS

DOSAGE-
  • Usual Adult Dose for Bronchospasm Prophylaxis
  • To prevent exercise induced bronchospasm:
  • 12 mcg (1 inhalation) of powder at least 15 minutes before exercise as needed. Additional doses should not be taken for 12 hours.
  • Usual Adult Dose for Asthma - Maintenance
  • 12 mcg (1 inhalation) of powder every 12 hours. Total daily dose should not exceed 24 mcg.
  • Usual Adult Dose for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - Maintenance
  • formoterol 12 mcg inhalation capsule:
  • 12 mcg (1 inhalation) of powder every 12 hours. Total daily dose should not exceed 24 mcg.
  • formoterol 20 mcg/2 mL inhalation solution:
  • one 20 microgram/2 mL vial via jet nebulizer with a facemask or mouthpiece every 12 hours.
DRUG INTRACTION-
  • FORMOTEROL+ACEBUTOLOL -The risk or severity of adverse effects can be increased when Acebutolol is combined with Formoterol.
  • Formoterol + Atomoxetine -  Atomoxetine may increase the tachycardic activities of Formoterol.
  • FORMOTEROL+GOSERELIN-Formoterol may increase the QTc-prolonging activities of Goserelin.
REFERENCE-
Tripathi K.D,"Essentials of medical pharmacology",7th edition,page no- 133, 224

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed with COPD with 55-60% lung capacity. and Hiv, My doctor just said all the crying , stomping your feet will not change it so just accept it and basically patted me on the back and sent me home to die. I was devastated and was afraid to do anything. I stopped riding my bike, I was afraid to do anything that would cause any exertion. It consumed my thoughts with every breath and the fear of what to expect was almost more than I could deal with. So I couldn't get myself all time I decided to find a herbal cure online and I came across Doctor Itua on how he cure several people suffering from Hiv, and Herpes I gave him a call on this Number +2348149277967 also chat on whatsapp he gave me all the details about the cure i paid him for the medicine after 5 working days i receive my herbal medicine ,I use it for two weeks that is how I get Cured and today I'm living healthy and  fine I give him thanks also promise him to testify about his work,He Can also cure the following diseases..Copd,Herpes,Alzheimer's disease,carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Parkinson's ,Epilepsy,Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis,diabetes,Coeliac disease,Infertility, Asthma.Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com..Whatsapp Number...+2348149277976

    ReplyDelete