- it is a sympathomimatic agent, used to maintain blood pressure in hypertension.
- mechanism of action of mephentermine involves direct stimulation of B-adrergic receptors causing the release of norepinephrine, from its storage site.
- it has a positive intropic effect on the myocardium.
- in this condition crdiac output and systolic and diastolic pressures are increased in most of the cases.
- large dose can depress myocardium and produce central nervous system(CNS) effects.
reference:Tripathi K.D., “Essentials of Medical Pharmacology”, Jaypee brothers medical publishers, Seventh edition, New Delhi, page no.564.